The Royal Lancaster is a 5 star hotel located in the Westminster district and more precisely opposite Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens. The hotel's spacious and elegant rooms offer spectacular views of the parks.
Presentation of the Royal Lancaster hotel
Initially an office building designed by the famous architect Richard Seifert (1910-2001), it was transformed in 1967 into a hotel and named Royal Lancaster in reference to the eponymous city located in the north-west of England.
As soon as it opened, the hotel became a fashionable place frequented by the stars of the time. The Beatles chose the Lancaster for the afternoon screening of their film Yellow Submarine in 1968. The following year, the hotel hosted the filming of The Italian Job, starring Michael Caine.
In 2017, fifty years after it opened, Thai owners are paying £ 80million for a complete renovation. The interior and exterior are completely redesigned under the vision of London designers Studio Proof.
Conveniently located near Paddington Station, two minutes walk from Lancaster Gate Underground Station (Central Line) and 15 minutes from the shops of Oxford Street.
The rooms of the Royal Lancaster hotel overlooking Hyde Park
Most of the 411 rooms and suites spread over 18 floors offer a panoramic view on Hyde Park and its famous Italian gardens, not far from Speaker's Corner and central London.
The classic rooms with an area of 20m2 are spacious and well appointed. They are equipped with a desk, a sofa, a 102 cm smart TV.
The 55m2 suites offer absolute comfort with a spacious living room, benches (a little firm !!), a 102 cm TV and a table. Ideal for resting after a long day of walking!
The Park Suite, pictured here, offers the most breathtaking views of Hyde Park from every angle, including the bathroom!
Another strong point, the bedroom, isolated from the day area, has a king size bed (2 meters wide !!!!) and offers at night a spectacular view of the London skyline with the program, the Gherking, the shard, the Scalpel, the 20 Fenchurch and even the London Eye !
You can also see other monuments such as the Royal Albert hall or the Albert Memorial, a monument in memory of the husband of Queen Victoria.
In addition, from November to early January, you can also admire the illuminations of the famous Christmas market Winter Wonderland and for New Year's Eve you can enjoy an exceptional view of the fireworks!
Therefore, if you want an exceptional panoramic view in all directions, the Park Suite is ideal. Suites can be booked with adjoining Classic Rooms, making them an ideal facility for families. Everyone shares the main room, but the bedrooms are located at opposite ends of the space for ultimate privacy.
Also offering a magnificent view of Hyde Park, the white Carrara marble bathroom is a gem! It includes a bathtub, a waterfall shower, a double sink and underfloor heating.
Attention to detail, the hotel has partnered with the London brand The White Company for her toiletries.
A hearty English breakfast is served in the Park Lounge, some tables overlooking Hyde Park's Italian Gardens.
On the menu and at will, fruit and fresh fruit juices, cereals, yogurts, cheeses, smoked and salted fish, toasts, pastries as well as scrambled eggs accompanied by sausage, bacon ... and many more 'others!
An exhaustive and qualitative choice to gain strength but which comes at a certain cost, namely £ 29!
What are the strengths of the Royal Lancaster?
- Sa spectacular view at Hyde Park et Kensington Gardens, we never tire !
- Sa location geography both at calm et near the famous shopping street Oxford Street, ideal for shopping!
- Des spacious rooms (above average in London) and bright
- Numerous storage in the bedroom
- High-end toiletries (shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, body cream) from the White Company brand
- International sockets (no need to take a UK adapter)
- Magnificent Italian white marble bathrooms also offering a amazing views at Hyde Park et Kensington Gardens (regarding the Park Suite)
- Staff to home in your language
- Free Wifi
- Fitness room open 24 hours a day
- 2 restaurants : the first located on the 1st floor and in the name of By, offers a thai cuisine, considered by food critics to have the best Thai food in London. It is also one of the 15 British restaurants recognized by the Thai government for the quality of its dishes.
The second, the Island Grill located on the ground floor and overlooking Hyde Park, offers a modern kitchen with seasonal products.
What are the weak points of the Royal Lancaster?
- Expensive breakfast (£ 29 / person)
- Des high prices but in accordance with the standard of the hotel and its services
- A decoration a little Cold for my taste, but this is a strictly personal opinion
How to book and what are the prices?
The price for a standard room of 20m2 is around 280 €, a certain cost but it is a 5 star hotel and its strong point is undoubtedly its point of view! The price may be lower (258 €) if you are a customer of Hotels.com which offers secret prices for its members. Personally, I always book through this site to have the best price; moreover, with the loyalty program, you can benefit from free admission in the hotel of your choice (the amount of the free night is the average of the 10 nights reserved. Only taxes and fees are payable).
Hotels.com rates Booking rates
Royal Lancaster: a hotel to recommend?
If you have the budget and want to surprise or celebrate a special occasion (birthday, Valentine's day..), the Royal Lancaster will make you dream and you will remember the breathtaking view it offers. I guarantee that taking a shower with a view of Hyde Park is not to be forgotten !!!!!
What to do - visit in the neighborhood?
- Given the location of the hotel, a stroll in Hyde Park et Kensington Gardens are essential!
- visit kensington palace, royal residence open to the public all year round. His most popular hosts are Prince William and his wife Catherine Middleton.
- Bring the children to Diana Mémorial Playground, a Princess Diana Memorial Playground, located in Kensington Gardens
- Shopping at Oxford Street which is a 15-minute walk away
- To go to the paddington station (5 min walk), to see the statue of the famous bear cub and visit the official store 😉
Where is the Royal Lancaster Hotel located?
Address : Lancaster Terrace, Bayswater, London W2 2TY